Mark II Console Refit
(The Master's TARDIS: Terror of the Autons - The Sea Devils)
(The Doctor's TARDIS: Seasons 8-11)
The Mark II refit could first be found on Capsules in the mid to upper forties, such as the Type 45. This refit added a number of emergency systems. This was the first console refit to make extensive use of old-fashioned graphic labels for the controls. There were also lines printed on the panels that showed how various systems interfaced. The Mark I refit contained several upgrades, including a Mark II Dematerialization Circuit, which could not be used on console that was still using the Mark I configuration. The Mark II TARDIS also includes an Internal Monitor. This device detects the crystallization created by sapient biodata and thus allows someone in a control room to determine the number of sapient life forms inside a TARDIS. The exo-shell's Materialization Beacon could be set to illuminate when there is one or more sapient being inside. Capsules with the Mark II refit were significantly more energy efficient than the Mark I.
Panel 1: Communications & Exterior Monitor
Panel 2: Mechanical & Master Control
Panel 3: Fabrication & Information Systems
Panel 4: Diagnostic & Internal Ship Systems
Panel 5: Navigation
Panel 6: Helm & Dematerialization Systems
- Used a Mark II Dematerialization Circuit
- Equipped with a manual Chameleon Circuit (if one was not already installed)
- First with a Force Field Generator
- First TARDIS to carry a Recall Circuit
- First to have the Automatic Emergency Landing option
- First to have the Emergency Stop option
- First to have the Emergency Displacement System (EDS)
- First to have the Extreme Emergency Lever
- First to have the Emergency Emergency Systems
- First to have an Internal Monitor
- No Fabrication Dispenser
- No computer readout screen to display data.
Console Layout Notes
- Panels now numbered counter clockwise.
- Extensive use of coloured graphics and labels on controls.
- Scanner Switch found on Helm Panel
- Master Dematerialization Switches now located on Communications Panel
The following color code is used:
- Black: For information from the TV Series, including Dimensions in Time, and 1996 TV Movie.
- Blue: For information from the Novels and Audios including Target, Virgin, BCC, and Big Finish.
- Green: For information from 'licensed' reference sources such as the Technical Manual, Doctor Who Magazine, and the Role Playing Games.
- Red: For information from unofficial sources -The Faction Paradox series, behind the scenes interviews, author's speculation, and popular fan belief.
The TARDIS Technical Index is copyright Will B Swift.