Mark IX Console Refit
(The Doctor's TARDIS : Season 21-26)
(The Master's TARDIS Season "Planet of Fire" - "Trial of a Time Lord")
The Mark IX Refit was considered to be state of the art around the time that future Lady President Romanadvoratrelundar was ordered back to Gallifrey. In these newer refits (such as the Type 97) the Time Vector Generator was installed in the central Time Column, giving it a very different appearance from the column found on a Type 40. This refit marked a radical departure from all previous control consoles, relying almost exclusively on various keyboards. Again, a major change in panel configuration was accompanied by a reversal of the number direction; this time they were counted in a clockwise direction. This was the last TARDIS refit to be produced before the idea of integrating the technology of other temporal powers become fashionable. No further refits for pre-Time War TT Capsules were issued.
Panel 1: Navigation
Panel 2: Helm & Dematerialization Systems
Panel 3: Diagnostic & Internal Ship Systems
Panel 4: Fabrication & Information Systems
Panel 5: Communications & Exterior Monitor
Panel 6: Mechanical & Master Control
Console Layout Notes
- Panels now numbered clockwise
- Helm, Fabrication, and Mechanical Panels equipped with computer readout screens
- Fabrication Panel equipped with a Fabrication Dispenser with a Sump Flush
- Dematerialization Switch now found on Navigation Panel
- Door Switch now found on Navigation Panel
- External Interface Port found on Navigational Panel
- Scanner Controls now found on Helm Panel
- Main Door Controls now found on Helm Panel
- Advanced Navigational Controls (such as EDS buttons, Tracking Monitor Control Board, Psycho-Telmeter, Emergency Stop, Autonomous Control, etc.) are now all located on the Helm Panel
- Defensive Controls (such as the Camouflage Unit, Defence Force Fields, HADS, DITO, etc.) are moved to the Helm Panel
- Internal Communications is now found on the Diagnostic Panel
- Room controls such as (Internal Lighting Control, Desktop Theme, Attitude Control, Early Warning System, etc.) are now found on the Diagnostic Panel
- Scanner Switch moved to Diagnostic Panel
- Fast Return Switch moved to Diagnostic Panel
- Diagnostic Panel contains an Organic Diagnostic, Bunsen Burner, Microphone, and Water Dispenser
- Telepathic Circuits moved to Fabrication Panel.
- Radiation Detector now on Communications Panel
- Read-Out Displays for internal, Radiation, Auto-Systems, Atmosphere Monitoring Subsystem, Auto-Gravity System are now on Communications Panel
- Communications Panel has an Analogue Crosstime Telephone
- Power Response Dials on Mechanical Panel
- Auxiliary Power Control now on Mechanical Panel
- Gallifrey Recall Indicator light on Mechanical Panel
- Power Outlet Socket now on Mechanical Panel
- The Time Vector Generator can be found on the underside of the console
- This Refit has more limited options for the Primary Control Room, in comparison to Console Room Number 2
The following color code is used:
- Black: For information from the TV Series, including Dimensions in Time, and 1996 TV Movie.
- Blue: For information from the Novels and Audios including Target, Virgin, BCC, and Big Finish.
- Green: For information from 'licensed' reference sources such as the Technical Manual, Doctor Who Magazine, and the Role Playing Games.
- Red: For information from unofficial sources -The Faction Paradox series, behind the scenes interviews, author's speculation, and popular fan belief.
The TARDIS Technical Index is copyright Will B Swift.