- Released shortly after the Type 40.
- Known for being much more reliable then the Type 40s.
- First model to carry the paralysis Defensive System, which can discharge a field of electrical energy that will automatically strike anyone within 30 meters of the TARDIS. While ineffective on Gallifreyans, the bolts will stun many species including humans.
- Popular enough to still be in use 164 years after the Doctor went renegade.
- A Type 42 TARDIS was stolen by the War Chief Magnus after the CIA had him framed for treason.
The following color code is used:
- Black: For information from the TV Series, including Dimensions in Time, and 1996 TV Movie.
- Blue: For information from the Novels and Audios including Target, Virgin, BCC, and Big Finish.
- Green: For information from 'licensed' reference sources such as the Technical Manual, Doctor Who Magazine, and the Role Playing Games.
- Red: For information from unofficial sources -The Faction Paradox series, behind the scenes interviews, author's speculation, and popular fan belief.
The TARDIS Technical Index is copyright Will B Swift.