Mark III Console Refit
(The Master's TARDIS: The Time Monster)
(The Doctor's TARDIS: The New Series 1-6)
The Mark III refit was considered to be state of the art when the Doctor was around 200 years old. A new experimental Time Column was installed which had a significantly different design from previous or later designs. Like the Mark II the console was extensively labelled An example of a feature unique to this refit is that some emergency situations will trigger the dropping of life-support masks in the control room for each crew member.
The Mark III Transceiver was a component of this upgrade. It plugs into the control console and, when switched on, immediately transports a TARDIS to the location of the spatially nearest distress signal. It can also transmit distress calls by a variety of means. With a simple modification this device allows a TARDIS to travel to the source of any other type of transmission signal that the Transceiver has locked on to.
Many older and obsolete features were withdrawn from this refit, causing some Time Lords to complain that the earlier models were more fully equipped. Like all later refits it has a Primary Control Room with a Desktop Theme that could be changed. However the Mark III was the last refit where the Primary Control Room possessed all the capabilities of the Secondary Control Room. For Mark IV and later TARDIS refits the simplified controls of the Primary Control Room limited access and control to several secondary systems. For these reasons the Mark III remained popular. Even during and after the Time War, some operators could be found using a Mark III configuration.
Panel 1: Communications & Exterior Monitor
Panel 2: Mechanical & Master Control
Panel 3: Fabrication & Information Systems
Panel 4: Diagnostic & Internal Ship Systems
Panel 5: Navigation
Panel 6: Helm & Dematerialization Systems
- Extensive use of colour coded graphics and labels on controls.
- Equipped with a Force Field Generator
- First to be equipped with a Fabrication Dispenser with a Sump Flush
Console Layout Notes
- Master Dematerialization Switches now located on Communications Panel
- Diagnostic Panel contains and Organic Diagnostic, Bunsen Burner, Microphone, and Water Dispenser.
- Communications Panel has an Analogue Crosstime Telephone
- Door Control now found on Mechanical Panel
- Dimension Scale Control and Dimension Scale Stabilizer are now found on Diagnostic Panel
- Time Vector Generator located behind one of the roundels in Control Room Number 2
The following color code is used:
- Black: For information from the TV Series, including Dimensions in Time, and 1996 TV Movie.
- Blue: For information from the Novels and Audios including Target, Virgin, BCC, and Big Finish.
- Green: For information from 'licensed' reference sources such as the Technical Manual, Doctor Who Magazine, and the Role Playing Games.
- Red: For information from unofficial sources -The Faction Paradox series, behind the scenes interviews, author's speculation, and popular fan belief.
The TARDIS Technical Index is copyright Will B Swift.