Mark V Console Refit
(The Doctor's TARDIS : Seasons 12-13)
The Mark V Refit was significant in that it was the first time the layout of the individual controls was significantly changed. The panels still broke down into the usual 6 stations but only the internal ship systems panel retained its basic configuration. For the first time, no matter which desktop theme was used, the Information Systems Panel had a computer readout screen to display data without resorting to the scanner screen. In addition to a change in layout the panels were now numbered counter-clockwise. Like the Mark I console, this new layout of each of the 6 stations would remain approximately the same for the next several refits. This new layout caused some confusion with operators who had been trained on veteran and vintage vehicles.
Panel 1: Fabrication & Information Systems
Panel 2: Navigation
Panel 3: Mechanical & Master Control
Panel 4: Communications & Exterior Monitor
Panel 5: Helm & Dematerialization Systems
Panel 6: Diagnostic & Internal Ship Systems
(Pictures from www.themindrobber.co.uk)
Console Layout Notes
- Completely new configuration for each panel when compared to earlier versions
- Panels now numbered counter clockwise
- Fabrication Panel equipped with a Fabrication Dispenser with a Sump Flush
- Fabrication Panel now equipped with a computer readout screen
- Auxiliary readouts for communications, sensors, and repair diagnostics now found on Fabrication Panel
- Read-Out Displays for Stabilizing Planes moved to Navigation Panel]
- Telepathic Circuits moved to Helm Panel
- Auxiliary Power Control moved to Helm Panel
- Main Power Bus Levers moved to Helm Panel
- Diagnostic Panel contains and Organic Diagnostic, Bunsen Burner, Microphone, and Water Dispenser
- Door Switch moved to Diagnostic Panel
- Scanner Control moved to Diagnostic Panel
- Chameleon Circuit Controls moved to Diagnostic Panel
- Scanner Switch moved to Mechanical Panel
- Read-Out Displays for Radiation moved to Communications Panel
- Communications Panel has an Analogue Crosstime Telephone
- The Time Vector Generator can be found on the underside of the console
- Had more limited options for the Primary Control Room, in comparison to Console Room Number 2
The following color code is used:
- Black: For information from the TV Series, including Dimensions in Time, and 1996 TV Movie.
- Blue: For information from the Novels and Audios including Target, Virgin, BCC, and Big Finish.
- Green: For information from 'licensed' reference sources such as the Technical Manual, Doctor Who Magazine, and the Role Playing Games.
- Red: For information from unofficial sources -The Faction Paradox series, behind the scenes interviews, author's speculation, and popular fan belief.
The TARDIS Technical Index is copyright Will B Swift.