Mark IV Console Refit
(The Monk's TARDIS)
The Mark IV Refit was released in the five decades after the Doctor left Gallifrey. One of the big breakthroughs of the Mark IV was the installation of the Automatic Drift Control. It allows a TARDIS to automatically stabilize its position in Hover Mode, and thus reduce its chance of crashing. The Chameleon circuit of a Mark IV can be set to automatically blend into its surroundings. This new disguise will be implemented before materialization. It was also the first time the Safety Precaution Switch was included. For Mark IV and later TARDIS refits the simplified controls of the Primary Control Room limited access and control options to several secondary[/unoff[ systems. This loss in extra functionality resulted in many experienced operators preferring Control Room Number 2 to the Primary one and even viewing the Primary Control as being the secondary or auxiliary option.
Panel 1: Communications & Exterior Monitor
Panel 2: Mechanical & Master Control
Panel 3: Fabrication & Information Systems
Panel 4: Diagnostic & Internal Ship Systems
Panel 5: Navigation
Panel 6: Helm & Dematerialization Systems
- First to be equipped with a Fabrication Dispenser
- First with Safety Precaution Switch
- First to be equipped with Automatic Drift Control
- First to have an automatic Chameleon Circuit
- First TARDIS to have Atrium Circuits
Console Layout Notes
- First in a series of refits which provided more limited options for the Primary Control Room, in comparison to Console Room Number 2
- Panels numbered clockwise
- Fabrication Panel equipped with a Fabrication Dispenser with
a Sump Flush
- Diagnostic Panel contains and Organic Diagnostic, Bunsen Burner, Microphone, and Water Dispenser.
- Communications Panel has an Analogue Crosstime Telephone
- Door Control now found on Mechanical Panel
- In Mark IV console the Time Vector Generator can be found on the underside of the console.
The following color code is used:
- Black: For information from the TV Series, including Dimensions in Time, and 1996 TV Movie.
- Blue: For information from the Novels and Audios including Target, Virgin, BCC, and Big Finish.
- Green: For information from 'licensed' reference sources such as the Technical Manual, Doctor Who Magazine, and the Role Playing Games.
- Red: For information from unofficial sources -The Faction Paradox series, behind the scenes interviews, author's speculation, and popular fan belief.
The TARDIS Technical Index is copyright Will B Swift.