Patrexians on Gallifrey managed to predict the creation of the 102-Form over a year before the Time War began. They had also predicted that she would be the mother of the 103-Forms that would be Gallifrey's most valuable and effective weapon in the War. But Compassion had used a Randomiser to flee, showing no interest in assisting the Time Lords. Attempts to create another 102-Form using other humanoids by the same method resulted only in subjects with simple facial and spinal mutations. It was concluded that the unique nature and experience of the Doctor's Type 40 was a key part of the process.
Given their failure with the 101-Form Time Lord technologists reasoned that it would be wise to start with a simpler biological matrix that was merely sentient rather then truly sapient. With the approval of the House of Dvora they began their work in an experimental facility located on a minor abandoned planet in the Rassilon Era.
Within a year, the technicians had created 10 Familiars. These complex space-time events were successfully able to interact with three-dimensional organic life-forms but only on the level of higher, non-sentient, animals. These experimental subjects were never intended to be field tested. They were to provide a cautious stepping stone towards the predicted 103-Form.
Unlike the 101-Form, the experiment was considered to be a complete success. The priming protocols developed in raising the Familiars would be essential for conditioning the 103-Form Timeships.
Unfortunately, before the vivisections could begin, these sub-sapient timeships breached their cradles. Like all Time Travel Capsules created by the Time Lords, the Familiars required a symbiotically bonded operator to enter the Vortex. With this instinct in mind, the ten Familiars each swallowed a technician before vanishing into the continual strata of the Vortex. Official records theorize that the Familiars turned on each other, leaving none alive, but rumours persist of their continued existence.
- Authorized by House Dvora
- Only 10 were grown.
- Engineered to be only sub-sentient.
- Required a pilot with a symbiotic nuclei to enter the Vortex
- All 10 kidnapped Time Lord technicians and escaped.
The following color code is used:
- Black: For information from the TV Series, including Dimensions in Time, and 1996 TV Movie.
- Blue: For information from the Novels and Audios including Target, Virgin, BCC, and Big Finish.
- Green: For information from 'licensed' reference sources such as the Technical Manual, Doctor Who Magazine, and the Role Playing Games.
- Red: For information from unofficial sources -The Faction Paradox series, behind the scenes interviews, author's speculation, and popular fan belief.
The TARDIS Technical Index is copyright Will B Swift.