The Scientific Elders (including the pioneers Rassilon and the Other)designed and built the Type 1 Time Travel Capsule in a Solar Workshop. Rassilon used Warp Matrix Engineering to design the Protyon Units for what would become the first sentient matrix. Though some of the tools used were simple spanners, the process used to create a TARDIS is one of the greatest secrets of the Time Lords. There are rumours that the Matrix retro-actively created the Time Lords just so that all Timeships could have a defined moment of creation. Otherwise every TARDIS would exist without ever having a point origin.
The Other's granddaughter, who was only a child at the time, found the phrase 'TT Capsule' to be too hard to say. So she gave the new timeship the name TARDIS. 'Tardis' was a word that meant 'timeship' in Old High Gallifreyan, but it is also an acronym that stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space. Her habit of re-naming things would persist, and she would later change her own name from Lady Arkytior Larn to Susan Foreman.
Due to the Time Race and Eternal Wars, the Time Lords of this era were much more paranoid then later generations. All of the early TARDISes had several defence mechanisms. Among them was a temporal stasis field that uses a spare dimensional stasis field to "freeze" any intruder whose bio-rhythms are unauthorized. The field can only be deactivated from the Control Console.
- First to be called a TARDIS
- First to be constructed using [ext]trans-dimensional Warp Matrix Engineering
- First with Protyon Core
- Has a box shaped exterior
- Composed of almost pure forced-matter calculations and movement equations
- Dimensionally Immanent (capacity for only 3 or 4 crew members)
- First to rely entirely on power broadcast from the Prime Eye of Harmony
- First to have a Rassilon Imprimature that allows a symbiotically bonded Time Lord full access to the Power of Creation
- Huon based Space-Time Element
- By decree of Rassilon this and all future TT Capsules would carry a Psycho-Telmeter to track vampires based only on a blood sample
- Circuits that allowed the Ring of Rassilon to remotely override the commands of the operator are traditionally installed on this and every future TARDIS
- Equipped with Banshee Circuits
- First to have Temporal Stasis option and several other unique defences
The following color code is used:
- Black: For information from the TV Series, including Dimensions in Time, and 1996 TV Movie.
- Blue: For information from the Novels and Audios including Target, Virgin, BCC, and Big Finish.
- Green: For information from 'licensed' reference sources such as the Technical Manual, Doctor Who Magazine, and the Role Playing Games.
- Red: For information from unofficial sources -The Faction Paradox series, behind the scenes interviews, author's speculation, and popular fan belief.
The TARDIS Technical Index is copyright Will B Swift.